Saturday, February 6, 2010

A wintertime race

Today I did my first wintertime foot race. It is an 8k in Frankenmuth, MI. http://www.volkslaufe.org/The_Race/Winterl_ufe_-_The_Winter_Race.htm. This is the inaugural event for this race. I've done the companion race during the 4th of July (http://www.volkslaufe.org/Home_8145.htm),weekend and have really enjoyed that. They pulled me into doing this race by stating on the registration that participants could get a special extra race shirt for participating in both races. However it worked out...it was a lot of fun. There were probably a couple hundred people and even as cold as it was there were a few people wearing shorts. (Brave Souls).

One interesting thing that happened was seeing a past participant on the Biggest Loser TV show standing in the pack waiting for the race to start. Considering I never forget faces, I looked up her entry number after wards and found that it was her. It was good to see her in a race and doing her best to stay healthy. I saw she was also wearing a jacket for the 2009 Detroit FreePress Marathon. Maybe she did that race also. Her name is Amy Cremen and I found her page here: http://www.amycremen.com/

The race had a few nice hills and is an out and back type route. This is the first time I've done one of those and I actually like it since your are able to see the race leaders and throw words of encouragement to them. A few people closer to the front also threw out a few, "Keep up the good work," statements. That proved encouraging when the 20mph wind was blowing on the side of your head on a few parts of the course. I'm looking forward to my next race.

No comments:

Post a Comment